I am simply writing a collection of notes on my experience in creating the videos that the police department needs. A lot has happened since I kickstarted this project and it is about time I put it onto paper. These notes will be posted in four parts this week. The first post is a short story about why I chose this project. The second post is a lengthy description of each person's job and how they helped make this possible. So that section will look something like the credits with much more detailed notes on the side. So if you are wondering what an "assistant director" does when that name scrolls past the screen, this post is for you.
Why I chose this project I chose this project because I believe an eagle candidate should be passionate about his gift to his community. Also, they should be fairly skilled with whatever it is they are doing. So a scout with lots of experience working with wood could naturally choose a project with elaborate woodwork. My passion has always been making movies and I feel I had a lot to give. Before even beginning my search for a project, I spent my entire savings on my passion: making movies. My toolset was top-notch. What I didn't buy I was gifted. That includes Final Cut Studio 3 which is the second choice for professional projects (behind Avid). My Grandpa gave me Photoshop and I built a Mac computer specifically designed for creative media work. Whenever I had a chunk of money that would not grow I would spend it all on more tools such as my green screen and stand, fluid tripod, reflector, and others. I even built my own tripod dolly. I had all these tools and then my handycam broke. I then spent my time learning how to edit. When I found this project I had enough money to buy a functional video camera. I had these tools with great potential to benefit the community. So I went around town knowing that creating a video for the public would allow me to use my assets and experience to benefit someone in need. I talked with the fire department, the school district, the police, and finally the city's Public Information Officer. He was very excited and enthusiastic at the proposed idea. With that I went on to develop some stories. I knew spent $300 on that green screen so I would find a story that would benefit from it. I don't know how the two stories came to me but when they did I fell in love with them. I was sort of shocked that it hadn't been done before. With a new storyboarding program that I just downloaded for the project I transferred my idea in my brain to something tangible. I spent one whole night on that storyboard. During that first draft I did not worry about technicalities and practicalities. If it looked best with the camera 20 feet in the air I made it that way. With that first version I presented it to the council, my scoutmaster, and the beneficiary. They wanted more details so I spent more time on creating material lists and beginning the search for locations. I created a database to help organize my thoughts and plans. That time was hard because I was anxious to get outside and start up the camera. During that time I brought the pool storyboard to its third revision and the littering one to its fifth. This time camera's were moved to practical locations and each shot was labeled and described. Each shot was altered to fit into the limitations of my camera (it can only zoom out so much). I felt really great spending time on that previsualization and it gave me plan to follow.